Gently Flowing Water

Gently Flowing Water

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Crippled Crow

THE CRIPPLED CROW

by



Crystal J. Ortmann




“Frank, come and look at that crazy crow,” I called to my husband. “He’s trying to hang on the suet feeder by flapping his wings like a hummingbird.” We laughed at the incongruity of this enormous bird trying to act like such a small one.
He flew a short way and tried to land. At that time we noticed that one leg was bent backwards and he didn’t have all his tail feathers. He flapped and teetered, trying to gain his balance. It was comical yet tragic.
“He won’t last long with only one leg working. He’s huge. How will he ever feed himself?
We didn’t expect him to last through the winter and certainly didn’t expect him to become an inspiration to us both.
The poor battered critter showed up sporadically at first. Before long, he was a
regular, taking advantage of the goodies in our birdfeeders.. Each time, he struggled valiantly trying to stand upright. He ended up leaning against the tree for support. His flapping wings brought us running to watch.
Our backyard was a certified wildlife habitat (We have since moved to an apartment). We observed all sorts of birds, but this crow became very special to us. His tremendous struggle to get food left us full of impotent compassion for there was no possibility of getting near enough to help him. He’d have probably pecked us if we tried.
That winter passed and we were sure he would die. Yet, each day, there he was, big as
life, going about the business of getting enough food for the day. What a guy! Admiration mingled with sympathy. He didn’t go off in a corner and whine about his condition. He didn’t decry the fate that left him crippled. This crow simply went about the business of finding food and tending to his daily needs with a bravery I envied.
There are some crippling things in my life too. Things don’t always go my way.
I struggle with problems and defects. It is so easy to give in to self-pity; yet, this crow taught me something very important.
He took each day as it came, getting on with what needed to be done. He didn’t
waste his time feeling sorry for himself. There was no complaining from him about how easy the others had it. He had to find food, regardless of his weakness.
I heard him cawing as I wrote this piece. Yes, he was still alone years after we first noticed him. He’s letting me know he’s on his way. His favorite peanut suet waited for him. I felt I owed it to him.
After all, my crippled crow taught me a lesson about getting through a hard
winter in my life. He showed me that handicaps needn’t prevent me from living a full life.
In fact, I found out HE was a SHE when she arrived one year with
her young. She fed them with no thought of eating first. Her attempts to find food for them and watch out for their welfare were nothing short of heroic. I never dreamed I’d learn such a lesson in courage and perseverance from a crippled crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment