Gently Flowing Water

Gently Flowing Water

Monday, March 14, 2011

Growth Through Life's Blasts








Growth Through Life’s Blasts

by

Crystal J. Ortmann


Read: Psalm 46:1-3


Read: Psalm 46:1 (NASB) “God is our refuge and strength;
A very present help in trouble.”





Heavy gray clouds poured down the side of the mountain, as the wind whipped my eyes to tears. A storm was building quickly at the 4,000 foot level of the volcano. It was eerie, yet exhilarating.
Shattered remnants of once proud trees were strewn across the face of the mountain. Almost twenty years after the catastrophic volcanic blast, there seemed hardly any growth. It could have happened yesterday.
Yet, close by, in a sheltered area green bushes grew in profusion. It was
life and death, side-by-side.
The scene spoke to me of life’s experiences. Sometimes there seems to be lush growth, even after times of testing. I feel sheltered through the blasts of life. There is enough and more than enough.
Other times, I seem to stand directly in the path of the cataclysm. My senses numb and I feel as barren as those dead trees coated with sterile dust. I’m unproductive, stunned, immobile and seemingly useless.
As I looked more closely, I saw that there was growth. Perhaps not as lush as the
ones nearby, but growth more heroic, because of the struggle to overcome.
Prayer: Dear Lord, even when I am tucked securely in Your loving arms, the seasons of devastation may come. Help me grow through it and remember, it isn’t the outward appearance, but rather the obstacles overcome that makes the difference. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Thought for the Day
In the midst of catastrophe, God can give shelter and growth.
Prayer Focus: those who are going through devastating times in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment