Gently Flowing Water

Gently Flowing Water

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Looking for the Lovely

LOOKING FOR THE LOVELY
By
Cris (Crystal J.) Ortmann

Philippians 4:8(NASB) “Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.                                                          

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  There is loveliness just waiting to be discovered today.


Tired and discouraged, I pushed my grocery cart toward the exit.  So much seemed negative in my life.  The news reports detailed one bad event after another.   My pessimistic thoughts depressed me.  Why does it seem so easy to think about the ugly parts of life?
I didn’t expect the lovely sight in the foyer of the store.  A small child sat in the shopping cart seat holding a piece of candy tightly wrapped in cellophane.  A very old woman, immensely patient, helped her take off the wrapper.  She spoke softly to the child, not seeming hurried or annoyed—just tender.
I gazed without shame or embarrassment.  In this world of hectic lives and frenetic activity, this was an oasis of calm and beauty.  I felt revived.  Throughout the evening, my thoughts went back to that scene.
            Violence and ugliness is reality.   Yet, loveliness is too; although it’s quieter and rarely makes the headlines.  I just need to ask God to open my eyes to see the beautiful things in life.
Prayer:  Lord, forgive me for concentrating on the unpleasant.  Your Word instructs me to think about good things.  Please open my eyes to the loveliness all around me, in Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Published by The Secret Place, Winter 2005-2006 in December-February issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment