Gently Flowing Water

Gently Flowing Water

Friday, January 7, 2011

Pondering : A Pond or a Swamp?

I guess I'm just in a mood to ponder.  I like to think, weigh things (except for myself!!!), mentally dissect what I hear, read or see.  The more I think of the word ponder, the more I think of a pond.  After doing some research on the origin of word, I find it has nothing to do with a body of water, yet I still have an image of a still, small area, capable of being moved by a very small word or thought.

Think of it.  If I doop a pebble into a tiny body of water, a ring starts out very small, yet increases and becomes greater until the entire pond is in motion.  In the same way, I can drop a word or thought into my mind and the same growth will take place as that caused by the pebble in water.

What I drop into the pond of my mind can be good or bad or simply banal.  These ripples will eventually saturate the mind and thoughts and can lead to actions.  Good things will produce growth and edification to myself and they will eventually overflow to others and be a blessing.  Dropping negative thoughts and attitudes can do the same, but the result can be a flood of damage to my own heart and those of others.  Dropping worthless thoughts can lead to boredom, and a stagnation of my mind.

It reminds me that, just as the Bible says to think and say and do things to edify others and myself, I had better ponder if I want a clear, inviting body of water or a swamp in my mind and life.  It's my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment